- RSS Channel Showcase 1911316
- RSS Channel Showcase 8218185
- RSS Channel Showcase 5564040
- RSS Channel Showcase 6533401
Articles on this Page
- 05/19/15--15:49: _A “Bloody” Good Res...
- 05/27/15--12:20: _RCM-SAR crew member...
- 05/27/15--12:24: _RCM-SAR Sooke Stati...
- 06/25/15--10:26: _Tired? The life of ...
- 12/14/15--11:36: _RCM-SAR Rescues 9 d...
- 12/14/15--11:37: _Two northern statio...
- 02/18/16--11:03: _Pat Quealey Appoint...
- 04/12/16--12:38: _Honouring SAR volun...
- 05/04/16--09:51: _Canadian Red Cross ...
- 05/25/16--08:56: _We’re hiring!!
- 11/15/16--11:08: _RAFFLE: GO DEEP! S...
- 03/03/17--11:37: _SAR Memorial unveil...
- 04/20/17--09:54: _A message from CEO ...
- 08/03/17--13:59: _BC’s Marine Rescuer...
- 09/06/17--23:05: _Ground SAR Group Tr...
- 10/06/17--20:27: _Mill Bay Coxswain H...
- 10/09/17--21:38: _Three Stations Hono...
- 10/13/17--21:54: _Dream of New Rescue...
- 10/29/17--22:39: _West Vancouver Crew...
- 11/05/17--21:51: _Woman Rescued After...
- 06/25/15--10:26: Tired? The life of an RCM-SAR volunteer.
- 12/14/15--11:36: RCM-SAR Rescues 9 divers
- 04/12/16--12:38: Honouring SAR volunteers: design ideas wanted
- 05/04/16--09:51: Canadian Red Cross – Be Ready App
- 05/25/16--08:56: We’re hiring!!
- 11/15/16--11:08: RAFFLE: GO DEEP! SUBMARINE RIDE SUPPORTS SEARCH AND RESCUE MEMORIAL!
- 03/03/17--11:37: SAR Memorial unveiling at the BC Legislative Building
- 04/20/17--09:54: A message from CEO and Board of Governors Chair on Volunteers Week
- 08/03/17--13:59: BC’s Marine Rescuers Say Stay Safe This Weekend
- 09/06/17--23:05: Ground SAR Group Trains at RCMSAR Headquarters
- 10/06/17--20:27: Mill Bay Coxswain Heads to Germany
- 10/09/17--21:38: Three Stations Honoured at AGM for Outstanding Missions
- 10/13/17--21:54: Dream of New Rescue Boat Becomes Reality for RCMSAR Station Shuswap
- 10/29/17--22:39: West Vancouver Crew Helps save Four in Interagency Rescue
- 11/05/17--21:51: Woman Rescued After Five Hours in the Strait of Georgia
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA–(Marketwired – May 19, 2015) When Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue volunteers practice their search and rescue skills on Howe Sound they will face some highly realistic first aid scenarios – made even more realistic with the help of Colbi Smith and her team of special effects makeup artists. Cuts, bruises, burns, […]
White collar worker finds satisfaction, and work, in construction SOOKE – Having bounced around white collar jobs for a decade, David Steeves was done with office work. After suffering another layoff last year, he went to his local WorkBC Employment Services Centre and found his fit on a government-funded training project to build a training […]
RCM-SAR 37 Sooke was tasked to locate a vessel broken down. As we were underway we received a call from Coast Guard that they now believe the vessel was against the rocks near Secretary Island, two people on board but had lost contact with them. 5 RCM-SAR volunteers headed out into the Juan de Fuca […]
Our RCM-SAR Kitimat Station were tasked out a couple of nights ago to assist a vessel approximately 18nm from their home base. At 8pm during a weekday most people are starting to settle down, kids are tucked in and parents are reflecting on a busy day of work. But for our volunteer crew members in […]
On November 15 nine members of a dive club were plunged into frigid water near Victoria when their boat overturned in high wind and waves. They managed to retrieve a small portable marine radio and call mayday. Crews from RCM-SAR stations in Sooke and Victoria responded within minutes. Battling tough sea conditions, they pulled the […]
RCM-SAR Kitkatla and RCM-SAR Prince Rupert joined the search for two men missing aboard a 14 foot boat south of Prince Rupert. The men were reported missing on Monday, December 7. On Tuesday, one of the missing men was located safe. The search for the second man has been turned over to RCMP as a […]
NEWS RELEASE VICTORIA, B.C. – A leader in emergency management and disaster response has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer for Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue. Pat Quealey joins Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue from his role as Assistant Deputy Minister for Emergency Management BC (EMBC) where he was responsible for the […]
RCM-SAR, the BC Search and Rescue Association and Provincial Emergency Program Air are establishing a memorial to honour British Columbia SAR volunteers who have died in the line of duty. The memorial will be installed on the grounds of the B.C. Legislative Buildings alongside existing memorials to police, firefighters and paramedics. The Speaker of the […]
Be Ready App House fires, floods, power outages, and even catastrophic earthquakes – whatever the disaster, the official Canadian Red Cross Be Ready app gives users instant access to the information needed in order to prepare for different emergency situations and to take action when a disaster strikes. Working closely with the Weather Network, the […]
Administrative Assistant About us: Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue is the volunteer lifeboat service in British Columbia. A charity that is part of the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary system, we operate about 40 marine rescue stations on the west coast and in the B.C. interior. A small staff at the Headquarters and Training Centre […]
Support a memorial to British Columbia’s search and rescue volunteers and get a chance to win an amazing dive experience in the Stingray 500 submarine! Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue volunteers are offering raffle tickets with a prize of a two-hour dive for two in the Stingray sub operated by Aquatica Submarines. The underwater […]
RCMSAR members and other search and rescue volunteers from around the province attended the unveiling of the British Columbia Search and Rescue Volunteer Memorial at the Legislative Buildings on March 2. The memorial honours volunteers who died in the line of duty, and serves as a permanent tribute to all those who serve. The names […]
A message from CEO Pat Quealey and RCMSAR Board of Governors Chair Greg Miller: Next week is National Volunteer Week, a time to recognize the tremendous contributions of RCMSAR volunteers towards public safety in British Columbia. We are proud to be among more than 12 million volunteers across Canada who devote time and energy to […]
VICTORIA – August 3, 2017 – The August long weekend is one of the busiest boating weekends of the year, and Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue (RCMSAR) crews are encouraging boaters to check their vessels, their safety gear, and the weather forecast to stay safe on the water. RCMSAR volunteers operate 35 rescue stations […]
On Saturday, July 8, Juan De Fuca Search & Rescue (JDF SAR) conducted ground search and rescue (GSAR) training at the RCMSAR Headquarters and Training Centre in East Sooke. JDF SAR is an inland ground SAR group with more than 60 active members, with specialized teams in rope rescue, Project Lifesaver, swift-water rescue, first aid […]
When and why did you join RCMSAR? I joined in November 2010. Our family has always held the value of service. We had recently moved to the area from the Gulf Islands and I was looking for a place to serve. After attending an information session during a recruitment drive my interest was sparked after […]
RCMSAR Station Lax Kw’alaams April 16, 2017 At 1955, RCMSAR Station Lax K’walaams was tasked by JRCC Victoria to a report of a 17-foot pleasure craft overturned at the south end of Birnie Island. Crew members James Henry, Dwayne Wesley and Glen Wesley departed home base to assist. When the FRC arrived on-scene they located […]
RCMSAR’s sole inland-SAR station expanded their fleet this summer, launching their new vessel during Sicamous’ annual Sun and Sand Parade. RCMSAR Station Shuswap welcomed the Tolonen, 40-foot 2007 Titan rigid inflatable SAR boat, on August 2, after a lengthy ground and water journey from its original base in Victoria. On August 5, the Tolonen joined […]
An RCMSAR West Vancouver crew took part in the dramatic rescue of four people forced to abandon their sinking vessel near Bowen Island. On September 1, RCMSAR Station West Vancouver received the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre’s Mayday call at 4:21 p.m. Coxswain Roger Wagstaff and crew members Jake Brownlie, Mike Cupit and Hugh Kelsey departed […]
In an incident described by rescue crews as a miracle, a woman who jumped from a BC Ferry survived for five hours in BC’s frigid coastal waters before being rescued by an RCMSAR Station West Vancouver crew. At 5:48 p.m. on October 30, the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre tasked RCMSAR Station West Vancouver to respond […]